Bridge Club raises $5000 for hospice
The Howick Bridge Club’s (HBC) remarkable fundraising efforts were recognised in a certificate and presentation late last week.
Totara Hospice: South Auckland’s events and hospitability fundraiser Jo Davis accepted a certificate from HBC’s president Leo Sim on Friday in place of a cheque.
The club’s annual fundraising event, which featured an auction of goods donated by members and local businesses as well as a bridge tournament, attracted entries from clubs all over Auckland, totalled $5000.
Davis told HBC members that Totara Hospice has to raise 40 per cent of its funds, equalling about $4m, annually as the remaining 60 per cent is funded by the government.
“Thank you for all the support from the communities and people like the HBC,” Davis says.
HBC members were able to win prizes by answering questions with the answers being hidden in Davis’s speech about the hospice.
The club’s 30-year contribution to the Hospice is more than $100,000.