Applying for a Visa for France: medical Insurance

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

If you’re a non-EU citizen and want to stay in France for longer than 90 days in a 180 day period you’ll need a visa. To begin you apply for a Visa Long Séjour (VLS-TS). Even If you want to live in France, you’ll need to apply for the one year VLS-TS. At the end of your first year, you’ll need to either renew your VLS-TS or apply for a Carte de Séjour (Titre de Séjour) which can be valid for up to ten years.

When you apply for your VLS-TS, you’ll need to gather several documents that show things such as proof of your economic situation (bank statements etc) and most importantly, private medical insurance (PHI). The general information on the site is quite vague, especially for ‘tourist long-term visas’ – in other words, visas for retirees/early retirees or long-term travellers. If you want to stay in France for more than six months (and possibly request residency at a later date) then you’ll find more information on the TLS-contact website.

Tips for applying for a successful visa for France

One of the most common reasons for a refusal on a visa application is the insurance element. Fabien explains how to make sure your visa application is ‘French-administration-proof’…

Brexit didn’t just impact the British, when it comes to applying for a visa, it also resulted in a tightening of rules for other non-EU citizens, including those from the US. After years of experience as insurance brokers and hundreds of Visa applications, we know that the type of insurance certificate is a critical factor that will determine the fate of your application.

Most successful applications have the following elements in common:

  • The certificate shows cover for at least the duration of your VISA and if this is not possible or if it ends before the VISA, then the certificate should mention that the visa insurance policy is scheduled for automatic renewal.
  • It mentions that you’re covered for medical expenses and hospitalisation (not just hospitalisation).
  • The medical cover should be for at least €30,000.00
  • The certificate should not mention any medical exclusions.
  • It must cover your public liability in the EU and include a repatriation plan.

If you fulfil these five requirements and if the rest of your file is complete, you should be off to a flying start with your visa application.

Get in touch with Fabien Pelissier, find out more and apply for insurance at