Mum left with severe burns after cooking egg in microwave using TikTok ‘hack’ | UK | News

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A mother has been left with severe burns from cooking eggs after the viral TikTok “hack” exploded and left her skin peeling from her face. Shafia Bashir, 37, said she had been in “absolute agony” after making a poached egg using a much-publicised recipe available on the internet.

Following the recipe, she first poured some boiling water in a mug before adding the egg and then putting it in the microwave for a couple of minutes until it had cooked.

However, the next step left her shattered.

In the next step, she put a cold spoon on the egg and it erupted “like a fountain” and scolded the right side of her face – leaving her in the “most excruciating” pain of her life.

She rushed to A&E where her burns were treated, but she said they were still stinging 12 hours after the incident.

With her wounds now settled in, the mother-of-one has warned others to think twice about attempting the popular dish.

She said: “I just don’t want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok… It was the most excruciating pain in my life. It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony.

“As soon as I put the cold spoon in, it exploded like a fountain and it scolded me.

“I put my face under the tap and then had to get my mate to look after my daughter so I could go to A&E.

READ MORE: Woke union ‘donkeys’ branded ‘deplorable’ for voting to stop arming Ukraine

“My face has healed now, luckily with no scars. I used Vaseline, Sudocrem, whatever I could get my hands on.”

Hailing from Bolton, she said she had been making the dish for three years when she had decided to cook it on May 12 while feeling “starving”.

She had followed a recipe that her ex-mum-in-law had taught her, but on this occasion, she was left stunned when the cooking trick ended in disaster.

She said: “I did it exactly the same as I usually do it. I had already made the toast, I was starving. My ex-mother-in-law told me about it. She told me how to make a poached egg in the microwave. I had been doing it for three years.

“I boiled the kettle, half-filled the mug with water, put salt inside, the egg inside, and microwaved it for a minute. It wasn’t cooked, so I put it in for another minute.

“After it happened, I put my face under the tap for 20 minutes. But the burning lasted for 12 hours. It just didn’t stop.”

The British Medical Journal previously said that microwave ovens should display clear warnings about exploding eggs. Cooking shelled eggs in a microwave is dangerous because the casing holds in heat.

Source link