Daycare owner and neighbour charged after one-year-old child died from suspected fentanyl exposure | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

The owner of the daycare centre within the Bronx the place a one-year-old boy died and different youngsters fell unwell from suspected fentanyl exposure have been charged with homicide.

Divino Nino owner Grei Mendez De Ventura, 36, and his neighbour Carlisto Acevedo Brito, 41, had been arrested on Saturday night time. They are every going through 11 prices, together with child endangerment and prison possession of a managed substance, in accordance with The New York Post.

Daycare workers referred to as 911 after discovering youngsters unresponsive after their nap on Friday.

A two-year-old boy is in important situation, whereas one other two-year-old boy and an eight-month-old lady are each in steady situation. The one-year-old boy was pronounced lifeless on the scene.

A fourth child, one other two-year-old boy, who was picked up from the daycare earlier within the day on Friday additionally appeared to have been uncovered to medication. He was taken to a hospital and is in steady situation, police mentioned.

All 4 youngsters appeared to have been uncovered to an opioid, officers mentioned, in accordance with the New York Times.

These suspicions, police mentioned, arose after assessing the hospitalised youngsters’s signs together with the invention of a “kilo press” discovered on the daycare centre.

“This is an item that is commonly used by drug dealers when packaging large quantities of drugs,” police defined.

Last Friday concluded the one-year-old’s first week on the daycare, in accordance with the child’s father Otoniel Feliz.

Mr Feliz advised the Post that he initially thought his son was sick from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“It was a peaceful place, it seemed like they would take good care [of the kids]. They always keep in contact with us. Everything seemed fine,” he mentioned.

“We expected that we were taking our son to a place where he would be taken care of, not to the funeral home,” Mr Feliz mentioned.