settlement on hostages, evacuation of al-Chifa hospital… replace on the scenario | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.


HASu 44e day of the battle between Israel and the terrorist group Hamas, Qatar, which performs the function of mediator between the 2 enemies, confirmed indicators of optimism on Sunday November 19 concerning a doable settlement on the discharge of hostages captured on October 7 in Gaza . The humanitarian scenario continues to be deteriorating within the Gaza Strip: the World Health Organization, which was in a position to enter the al-Chifa hospital occupied by the Israeli military, mentioned it was making ready the evacuation of the final sufferers and workers , the infrastructure being “no longer able to function”.

The conclusion of an settlement on the discharge of hostages kidnapped by Hamas throughout his assault on October 7 towards Israel is now based mostly on sensible questions minor »the Qatari Prime Minister said on Sunday, without providing a timetable. Remaining challenges in negotiations are very minor […] They are more logistical, they are more practical »declared Mohammed ben Abderrahmane Al-Thani during a press conference in Doha alongside the head of diplomacy of the European Union, Josep Borrell.

READ ALSO Hamas-Israel war: Qatar, a formidable intermediary

Saturday, theThe White House said keep working hard » to reach an agreement between Israel and Hamas to release hostages and mark a pause in the fighting. We haven’t reached an agreement yet, but we continue to work hard » in this sense, wrote on X (ex-Twitter) the spokesperson for the National Security Council of the White House, Adrienne Watson, denying information from the Washington Post according to whom an agreement providing for the release of hostages in exchange for a five-day pause in the fighting had been concluded between the belligerents.

READ ALSO In Israel, relatives of hostages increase pressure on Netanyahu

At least two Palestinians were killed Sunday by the Israeli army during nighttime incursions in at least five towns and refugee camps in the occupied West Bankindicated the Palestinian Red Crescent. According to the organization, a 45-year-old man was killed in Jenin, a town in the north of the Palestinian territory occupied for fifty-six years by Israel, the recent scene of deadly clashes between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian fighters.

A second man was killed in the Dheicheh camp in Bethlehem, south of Jerusalem. AlwaysAccording to the same source, two teenagers aged 16 and 17 were injured by Israeli bullets in Balata, the refugee camp in Nablus, the large city in the North which shelters 24,000 people according to the UN which manages it.

WHO calls for evacuation of al-Chifa hospital

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that it had carried out a mission on Saturday to the al-Chifa hospital in Gaza, occupied by the Israeli army, and was working on an evacuation plan for the establishment which she described as a death zone ». According to the organization, whose experts spent an hour inside the immense hospital complex, it still housed 25 caregivers and 291 patients on Saturday, including 32 babies in critical condition, 22 patients on dialysis and two in intensive care.

READ ALSO What the International Red Cross is doing in Gaza

The team saw a hospital that was no longer able to function: no water, no food, no electricity, no fuel, medical supplies exhausted »wrote on X (ex-Twitter) the Secretary General of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. Given this deplorable situation and the condition of many patients, including babies, healthcare staff have requested help to evacuate patients who can no longer receive life-saving care on site. »he added.

Three Israeli soldiers killed in fighting

Three Israeli soldiers were killed in fighting in the Gaza Strip, the Israeli army said in a statement on Sunday, bringing to 62 the number of soldiers dead since the start of the war. The three new victims were all reservists and were killed in the north of the Gaza Strip, said the army, which is relentlessly shelling the Palestinian territory and has launched a ground offensive there to “eradicate” the Islamist Hamas motion. .


https://www.lepoint.fr/monde/guerre-hamas-israel-accord-sur-les-otages-evacuation-de-l-hopital-al-chifa-le-point-sur-la-situation-19-11-2023-2543698_24.php#xtor=RSS-221