One lifeless after E. coli outbreak with suspected hyperlink to Mrs Kirkham artisan cheese | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

An individual has died following an outbreak of E. coli within the UK which may very well be linked to artisan cheeses, well being officers stated.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) stated 30 confirmed circumstances of E. coli have been recorded throughout England and Scotland in sufferers aged seven to 81. The company stated an individual from Scotland had now died from the an infection.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) introduced the recall for Mrs Kirkham’s Mild and Creamy Lancashire, Mrs Kirkham’s Tasty Lancashire, Mrs Kirkham’s Mature Lancashire and Mrs Kirkham’s Smoked Lancashire on Christmas Eve.

They stated the cheese may have been “contaminated with a specific type of E.coli bacteria called Shiga toxin producing E.coli, also known as STEC or VTEC, a pathogen that can cause food poisoning.”

A UKHSA spokesperson stated: “One death has been associated with this outbreak. Epidemiological and food chain investigations have identified links between some of the identified cases and a number of unpasteurised cheeses produced by a business in England.”

The FSA stated: “The products listed above might be contaminated with Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, (STEC).

“Symptoms caused by this organism can be similar to flu and include high temperature, muscle ache or pain, chills, feeling or being sick and diarrhoea.

“However, in rare cases, the infection can be more severe, causing serious complications, such as meningitis.”

The UKHSA stated investigations had been persevering with into any widespread hyperlinks between circumstances, together with hyperlinks to the recalled cheeses.

When it involves storing Christmas meals, GP Dr Babak Ashrafi from Asda Online Doctor stated individuals ought to use their widespread sense.

He stated: “It is generally safe to keep food for a couple of days after Christmas, as long as it is refrigerated and stored properly. But use your best judgement before eating any leftovers, and be sure to throw away any food that doesn’t look or smell safe to eat.

“Leaving meat at room temperature, or not refrigerating it at low enough temperatures, can encourage bacteria to grow and lead to foodborne illnesses.

“Certain bacteria, such as Salmonella and E. coli, thrive on meat and can make you very sick. Food contaminated with these bacteria can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and, in very serious cases, require medical treatment.”

The recall applies to all measurement packs of the 4 cheeses purchased since 1 October 2023.