Post Office scandal – stay: Alan Bates says promote ‘dead duck’ firm as compensation invoice ‘to be over £1bn’ | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Post Office must be bought to Amazon for £1, Alan Bates says

The “dead duck” Post Office must be bought to Amazon for £1 to get a greater service for the general public, Alan Bates has stated.

Mr Bates, the wrongly convicted subpostmaster who led the combat for justice within the Post Office Horizon scandal, stated the service was a drain on public funds and can be higher run by the US-owned e-commerce firm.

It got here as Carl Creswell, on the Department of Business and Trade, informed MPs on the Business and Trade Committee how choices can be remodeled postmaster’s compensation.

The mixed price of compensating sub-postmasters is claimed to be “slightly over £1bn”, he stated including “Well over 95 per cent” of victims will submit a declare by August or early July.

1709045406

Office for the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration to have funds slashed – Neal

The Office for the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration can have its funds reduce by 5 per cent yr on yr, David Neal has revealed, Holly Bancroft experiences.

Mr Neal is giving proof to the Home Affairs Committee in one-off session on immigration after being sacked by James Cleverly.

The house secretary Mr Neal had “breached the terms of appointment and lost the confidence of the home secretary” after Mr Neal warned  of “dangerous” failings by border power that he claimed have been permitting “high-risk” plane to land in Britain with out safety checks.

The Home Office had “categorically rejected” the claims, saying that Mr Neal “has chosen to put misleading data into the public domain”. You can learn extra on Mr Neal’s sacking beneath:

Matt Mathers27 February 2024 14:50

1709044806

I used to be sacked for ‘doing my job’, says ex-chief inspector of borders and immigration

Former impartial chief inspector of borders and immigration David Neal has stated he was “sacked for doing my job”. Mr Neal is showing earlier than the Home Affairs Committee, Holly Bancroft experiences.

He stated he had tried to lift pressing issues about border safety following his inspection into City Airport. He was given a gathering with Immigration minister Tom Pursglove however the assembly was cancelled on the morning it was meant to occur.

He stated he had “exposed things that are going wrong, things that are going wrong that affect national security” following his City Airport inspection.

(PA Average)

Matt Mathers27 February 2024 14:40

1709044246

Henry Staunton: I used to be informed it was not the time to ‘rip off the band aid’

Former Post Office chairman Henry Staunton has said that he was told that it was not the time “to rip off the band aid” by the then top civil servant at the business department Sarah Munby.

“I said that this is a three to five-year turnaround situation at the Post Office, and I had in mind it was probably the latter rather than the former,” he told MPs on the Business and Trade Committee.

“She said in response to that this is no time for long-term planning, she said money is tight at the Treasury and you need to really understand that.

“I said in terms of trying to hold back, there are only three levers of big cash flows that we can pull, one is the inquiry costs, which are significant, one is compensation, and one is the replacement to Horizon, which is the biggest lever.

“In detail I said, the inquiry, the costs will have to be what they have to be, surely? In respect of compensation we need to do the right thing by postmasters in taking this money, and we’re in dire want of a brand new system.

“She repeated once more, cash could be very tight, that is no time to tear off the band help, and I used to be left in little doubt that this was not a time to tear off the band help and I must take a look at these levers.”

(House of Commons/UK Parliament/PA Wire)

Matt Mathers27 February 2024 14:30

1709043427

Postmasters compensation to be ‘slightly over’ £1billion

Carl Creswell, director of business resilience at the Department of Business and Trade, previously told MPs on the Business and Trade Committee how decisions would be made over postmaster’s compensation.

He stated: “If we were to agree a sum of money now and then the Horizon IT Inquiry were to find something material that could affect that negotiation, I think it would be wrong of us, on behalf of the taxpayer, to reach a pre-emptive agreement.

The combined cost of compensating sub-postmasters is said to be “slightly over £1bn”, he stated including “Well over 95 per cent” of victims will submit a declare by August or early July.

(House of Commons/UK Parliament/PA Wire)

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:17

1709043034

Post Office Chief government says he has by no means tried to resign

Asked whether or not he’s planning to remain in put up to ship the redress schemes to reimburse postmasters the chief government admits he has by no means tried to resign all through the scandal.

Post Office chief government Nick Read replied: “No. Why do you ask? I want to make sure we get justice for our postmasters and that is what I will stay to do.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:10

1709042746

Post Office must be bought to Amazon for £1, Alan Bates says

Post Office must be bought to Amazon for £1, Alan Bates says

Wrongly convicted subpostmaster Alan Bates has described the Post Office as a “dead duck” insisting it must be “sold to Amazon for £1”. Mr Bates, who led the combat for justice within the Post Office Horizon scandal, stated the service was a drain on public funds and can be higher run by the US-owned e-commerce firm. Addressing MPs on the Post Office inquiry on Tuesday (27 February), Mr Bates stated: “You should sell it to someone like Amazon for £1, get really good contracts for all the serving subpostmasters and within a few years you’ll have one of the best networks around Britain.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:05

1709042671

Post Office boss says there ‘might be’ responsible individuals absolved by mass exoneration

Post Office chief government Nick Read has stated the mass exoneration of convicted subpostmasters “may well” lead to responsible individuals being absolved.

When requested if he thought responsible individuals might be exonerated, he informed MPs: “There may well be people but it is the least worst option. We’ve heard the minister say that.

“These are exceptional circumstances.

“If there are one or two, whatever that number is, then fine.

“But this is the best way to get the right level of justice for people who have been wronged.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:04

1709042559

‘Erratic behaviour’ of Post Office director questioned

A Post Office director has stated former chairman Henry Staunton confirmed “somewhat erratic” behaviour late final yr.

Ben Tidswell, senior impartial director and chair of the remediation committee on the firm, informed MPs: “There was a distinct change in Mr Staunton’s behaviour once he became aware of the investigation into him, in November last year.

“It would be fair to say his behaviour was somewhat erratic from that point and became more erratic from January.

“I did have some concerns about his behaviour from about November.

“Mr Staunton had his own style and how he dealt with people. I didn’t have a problem with that, although it’s not necessarily the way I would have done it.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:02

1709042498

‘I am clearly well paid’ Post Office CEO admits

MP’s requested whether or not Post Office chief government officer Nick Read’s £400,000 wages on prime of bonuses in comparison with the postmaster’s £20,000 wages confirmed the Post Office was “rotten to the core”.

Mr Read stated: “I’m not going to answer that question in that sense. I’m clearly well paid and I’m clearly in a position where I’m trying to make sure the commercial sustainability of the Post Office is going to be for the next generations as well.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 14:01

1709041782

‘I am very much touchable’ Post Office bosses not immune from sackings

Post Office chief government officer Nick Read, chairman of the remediation committee Ben Tidswell, remediation issues director Simon Recaldin and Horizon and group litigation order IT director Simon Oldnall have all informed MPs they aren’t “untouchable”.

Mr Tidswell stated: “I can speak to that and the answer is absolutely not – if people are not complying with their duties then they’re accountable, and you see that most clearly with the departed chairman.

“I certainly expect everybody in the organisation to be accountable and, at the moment, I suppose in the absence of a chairman I lead the board, but I can absolutely tell you every member of the board believes that as well.”

Mr Oldnall stated: “I echo that point, I expect to be held to account in my role by my leadership team, absolutely.”

Mr Recaldin stated: “I can echo that and I can tell you that I am challenged regularly, and I am very touchable.”

Mr Read added: “So am I.”

Barney Davis27 February 2024 13:49