New £5,000 deposit mortgage permits owners to borrow as much as 99% | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A brand new £5,000 deposit mortgage has been launched by a constructing society, enabling aspiring owners to probably borrow as much as 99% of the property worth.

Yorkshire Building Society mentioned its new fee-free deal will allow first-time consumers throughout England, Scotland or Wales with a £5,000 deposit to buy a property valued at as much as £500,000.

For somebody shopping for a typical first-time purchaser property at £200,000, a £5,000 deposit would equate to 2.5% of the acquisition value, with the remaining 97.5% being borrowed as a mortgage.

The new mortgage is offered on to clients and by way of brokers by way of Accord Mortgages – the lender’s intermediary-only arm.

The Yorkshire’s director of mortgages, Ben Merritt, mentioned analysis by the society signifies that £5,000 is the quantity that might shorten the time wanted for first-time consumers to get mortgage-ready.

He added that it may assist to encourage a “level playing field for those who don’t have financial support from their families to fall back on”.

Under the deal, which is offered to first-time consumers solely, debtors with a deposit of a minimum of £5,000 may take out a five-year fixed-rate mortgage at 5.99%.

The most borrower age on the finish of the mortgage time period is 70.

The mortgage will not be obtainable for new-build properties or flats, and the society mentioned loans are topic to rigorous credit score scoring and affordability checks.

Mr Merritt mentioned: “While £5,000 represents a 1% deposit for those who need to borrow the maximum amount available, the key is that customers are still putting money into a deposit, they still have to demonstrate strong creditworthiness and pass an affordability assessment to be eligible for a £5,000 deposit mortgage.

“We have a duty to encourage financial responsibility in anyone taking out a mortgage.”

(Mike Egerton/PA Wire)

Previous analysis from the society signifies round two in 5 (38%) first-time consumers obtain monetary assist from family and friends to have the prospect of stepping on to the housing ladder.

Mr Merritt mentioned: “The society’s research among 500 first-time buyers for its Home Truths report, published in September 2023, showed that 78% of people in this category feel homeownership is becoming an elite privilege while 63% believe the UK is in danger of becoming a nation of renters.”

Other lenders additionally supply offers for would-be owners who could also be struggling to save lots of for a deposit.

Skipton Building Society affords a “track record” mortgage, which helps renters to make the soar on to the property ladder, probably with no deposit wanted, topic to phrases and circumstances. Skipton use debtors’ information of rental funds to assist work out what they are able to borrow.

Some lenders additionally supply offers the place members of the family put up financial savings as safety for a sure time interval – equivalent to Barclays’ household springboard mortgage.

In May final yr, it was introduced that aspiring owners may have their subscriptions to providers equivalent to Netflix or Spotify contribute to their means to get a mortgage, following a brand new partnership between Leeds Building Society and credit score info firm Experian.

Leeds Building Society related to the Experian Boost service, which permits further proof of a borrower’s good monetary monitor report to be factored into lending selections.

Rachel Springall, a finance professional at, mentioned: “This new deal from Yorkshire Building Society will no doubt be popular among aspiring buyers who can’t get their deposit to stretch far enough to get on to the property ladder. The mortgage market could always do with more innovation to support first-time buyers, so it will be interesting to see if any other lenders follow suit.

“Anyone who borrows at a higher loan-to-value would be wise to overpay their mortgage whenever they can to gain more equity and aim to reach a lower loan-to-value bracket where cheaper deals could be found when they come to refinance.

“If there are any concerns about falling into negative equity with a high loan-to-value deal, borrowers must speak to their lender and seek advice immediately.”

She continued: “Due to the cost o living, aspiring homeowners may find it difficult to make bigger monthly savings towards a deposit, especially if they are spending a large portion of their salary on rent.

“Cutting down on non-essential outgoings is wise but buyers also need to be conscious of any hikes to their utility bills or the cost of commuting in the months ahead. Seeking a longer-term fixed mortgage may be a better choice for borrowers looking for peace-of-mind with their monthly repayments.”