Tommy Robinson trial: Met officer admits mistake on order allegedly breached by EDL founder | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A senior Metropolitan Police officer who signed a dispersal order allegedly breached by Tommy Robinson has admitted it could not have been lawful after he used the flawed date on the paperwork, a courtroom has heard.

Robinson, 40, whose actual identify is Stephen Yaxley Lennon, denies failing to adjust to a path to depart an space in Westminster on November 26 final yr.

Robinson was arrested at a march in opposition to antisemitism close to the Royal Courts of Justice in London, the place the demonstration started, after organisers mentioned he wouldn’t be welcome on the occasion.

Inspector Steve Parker-Phipps, liable for policing sure points of the protest, imposed a Section 35 order beneath the Crime and Policing Act 2014 when he thought a “right-wing group” may probably be attending, the trial at Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

Tommy Robinson is led away by police as individuals participate in a march in opposition to antisemitism (Jordan Pettitt/PA) (PA Wire)

The courtroom heard Inspector Parker-Phipps, whose laptop computer battery was “dying”, put the order in place at 10am on November 26, however by chance dated the shape for November 24.

Questioning the inspector, Robinson’s defence lawyer Alisdair Williamson KC mentioned: “This document is not correct is it?

“Can we have any confidence that there was a lawful order in place?”

The officer replied: “No.”

Prosecutor Jonathan Bryan informed the courtroom Robinson “became resistant” when ordered to depart the realm and was arrested.

“Organisers of the protest had made it clear they didn’t want his presence,” Mr Bryan mentioned.

Robinson had attended the march regardless of being informed he wouldn’t be welcome by organisers (AFP by way of Getty Images)

“He wouldn’t leave the area.”

During his arrest, officers sprayed Robinson with artificial pepper spray and handcuffed him.

He uploaded a video of himself with partially closed eyes to social media after the incident.

Other footage of him arguing with law enforcement officials was additionally posted on his X account, with Robinson claiming to be current as a journalist on the march.

The officer who learn the order to Robinson mentioned he was “upset” and “angry” about being requested to depart and “held on to metal railings so he could not be escorted”.

The trial continues.