Surrey cow: Police officer who hit calf underneath investigation as farmer provides well being replace | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A Surrey Police officer has been taken off frontline duties after putting a runaway cow twice along with his automobile – a second caught on video that precipitated widespread shock because it went viral on social media.

In the video, the younger cow, Beau Lucy, is seen free on the street in Staines earlier than being rammed twice by the police automobile.

The accomplice of the farmer who owns Beau Lucy has referred to as for the driving force to be sacked – and stated the calf might nonetheless die from its accidents.

The officer will likely be withdrawn from frontline duties till an investigation into his conduct has been accomplished, the drive stated after the techniques used to cease the cow had been described by house secretary James Cleverly as “heavy handed”.

Police say the 10-month-old calf is now again at her farm and recuperating along with her herd after struggling a big gash to her leg.

Beau Lucy is known to have slipped from her grazing enclosure and swum throughout a river earlier than making it to Staines-upon-Thames on Friday night time.

Video footage reveals Beau Lucy working free on streets and pavements earlier than being run down by a Surrey Police 4×4.

Police claimed the animal was a menace to human life, however Mr Cleverly posted on X that he might “think of no reasonable need for this action”.

Kate, the accomplice of the farmer who owns the cow, informed Sky News: “It looked like they tried to kill it.

“Honestly, when I saw the video, I thought he should lose his job. I just thought it was disgusting, I couldn’t believe it.

“I don’t know if it was his decision to drive at the animal or whether he was instructed to, but the police, when they got out of the car, looked pretty agitated themselves.”

Beau Lucy chases after one local
Beau Lucy chases after one native (Kai Bennetts/PA Wire)

In the viral footage, Beau Lucy could be seen working down the center of the street as a person geese round parked automobiles.

A marked police automobile accelerates into the calf, sending the 200kg animal rolling down the street. She staggers to her ft earlier than the police automobile once more drives into her, this time pinning her head beneath its entrance axle.

In a second clip, Beau Lucy is seen getting again to her ft, after which she stumbles right into a entrance backyard, clearly in shock from the collision.

Officers get out of the automobile and shout at involved locals to get again.

Kate stated it was a disgrace that the officers had not contacted her or a vet to make use of a tranquilliser on Beau Lucy, including: “It wasn’t that out of control, just spooked.”

She stated: “I can only imagine the police that did it have no idea about farm animals. I couldn’t believe she ended up where she did.”

She stated Beau Lucy was returned extremely agitated, however that she is now consuming and ingesting once more, having been inspected by a vet.

“I don’t know whether she will live,” she stated. “She could have died of the shock, but hopefully she’ll live.”

Deputy Chief Constable Nev Kemp stated: “I fully appreciate the distress our handling of this incident has caused and will ensure that it is thoroughly and diligently investigated. In addition to an internal referral to our Professional Standards Department, we have also referred the matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) for independent consideration.

“At this time, the officer who was driving the police car has been removed from frontline duties pending the outcome of these investigations.

“I know there is much concern around the current welfare of the cow. She is now back with her owner and recuperating with her herd. She did sustain a large cut to one leg and cuts and grazes. She continues to be monitored by a vet and our rural officers are staying in contact with the owner for updates.

“I can confirm that on the night, efforts were made to contact local vets without success, and efforts were simultaneously being made to identify the owner. Why these were unsuccessful and what more could and should have been done will form a key part of the investigation.

“As well as our overriding duty to protect the public, the welfare of animals is important to us, and we know people want answers about how this happened and what led up to it. I am committed to ensuring that we have a full understanding of what took place and why, and we will fully support any investigation by the IOPC.

“I have also briefed the Home Office on what action we are taking, and we are liaising with several animal charities that have been in touch with us about this incident.”