Labour urged to analyze ‘alarming revelations’ of assume tank | Politics | News | EUROtoday

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Keir Starmer

Keir Starmer (Image: Getty)

The Conservatives have demanded Labour examine “alarming revelations” {that a} assume tank linked to the Party made “baseless claims” about journalists who have been investigating it.

The calls add to stress on the Cabinet Office minister Josh Simons, who commissioned a 2023 report on journalists investigating Labour Together.

The thinktank helped propel Sir Keir to energy in 2024.

Kevin Hollinrake MP, chairman of the Conservative Party, stated: “Labour Together’s behaviour shows a worrying contempt for the free press, a fundamental foundation of our democracy.

“With its close and widely known links to the heart of Government, serious questions must be answered about who was aware of these actions, including whether senior figures around the Prime Minister knew.

Read more: Starmer’s government is imploding – Reform must ready itself for snap election

“After Starmer’s attempts to deflect from the Mandelson-Epstein affair, the public will accept nothing less than full transparency.

The Sunday Times reported claims that Labour Together hired lobbyists from US firm APCO to investigate the personal, political and religious background of journalists, in order to build material for a smear campaign against them.

Among them was Gabriel Pogrund, who had been investigating Labour Together’s £720,000 of undeclared donations.

In an agreement addressed to Mr Simons, drawn up by Apco Worldwide, the PR consultancy said it would “investigate the sourcing, funding and origins” of a November 2023 Sunday Times report concerning the assume tank, along with different journalistic investigations into the group.

The Sunday Times reported that the contents of Apco’s investigation have been informally shared with Labour figures in 2024, together with current cupboard ministers and particular advisers

Mr Simons, who reportedly engaged APCO, is now the Cabinet Office Minister in control of inquiry coverage.

Several different figures linked to Labour Together are in senior Cabinet roles.

A Downing Street supply stated there was no motive for Sir Keir to have recognized concerning the doc and he was not in control of Labour Together.

Mr Simons advised The Sunday Times: “I was surprised and shocked to read the report extended beyond the contract by including unnecessary information on Gabriel Pogrund.

“I asked for this information to be removed before passing the report to GCHQ. No other British journalists were investigated in any document I or Labour Together ever received.”

Alison Phillips, the CEO of Labour Together, has written to all employees on the organisation on Sunday night time.

She says she is “horrified” by the “shocking” allegations however added she has been assured it was not the “intention” to look into the background of reporters.

Alison Phillips, the CEO of Labour Together, has written to all employees on the organisation on Sunday night time.

She says she is “horrified” by the “shocking” allegations – however provides she has been assured it was not the “intention” to look into the background of reporters.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/2171280/labour-investigate-alarming-revelations-think