Jailed man leaps from dock at court and goes on run as police launch manhunt

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A manhunt has been launched after a man leapt out of the dock at Liverpool Crown Court and went on the run.

Nicholas Bunclark was jailed for 16 months on Tuesday after being convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

It followed an attack at a hostel on Leyland Road in Southport on November 19 2021.

After receiving the custodial sentence from the judge, Bunclark jumped from the dock and ran out of the court.

Merseyside Police released an image of Nicholas Bunclark in an appeal to find him

The 30-year-old remained at large on Tuesday and into Wednesday, with Merseyside Police issuing his mugshot in the hope it would help lead to his recapture.

The defendant, from Netherton, Merseyside, had buried his head in his hands after being informed of his sentence, according to the Liverpool Echo.

He was then allowed a brief interaction with his mother before officers began leading him to the cells.

However, Bunclark used the opportunity to surge out of the unlocked dock and, despite a brief tussle, officers were unable to restrain him and he escaped the court entirely.

Initially, it appeared that Bunclark had not escaped the court building as a heightened security presence was said to be around the court following the escape attempt.

Patrolling guards were also seen keeping watch outside, while several other cases were adjourned as a result of the incident.

Merseyside Police confirmed as of Wednesday that “officers are still searching for Bunclark” and appealed for the public’s help.

A spokesman for HM Courts and Tribunals Service said: “The strict security measures we have in place ensure escapes from court custody are extremely rare and our staff and the police are now working together to recapture the offender.”

It comes months after police revealed the man who threw acid over TV presenter Katie Piper is on the run as police launched a manhunt for the offender to be recalled to jail.

Stefan Sylvestre, from Shepherd’s Bush, west London, was given a life sentence in 2009 for the attack and was told he must serve a minimum of six years before he would be eligible for parole.

Sylvestre was paroled in 2020, 11 years after the horrifying assault, but could now face more jail time after he went missing while on licence.

Source: independent.co.uk